Monday, October 11, 2010

Perfect Apple Pie

These apples came hand picked from Carter Mt. in Charlottesville, VA. I was extremely excited to make this pie because it is one of my favorite types of pies & I was interested to taste the gluten free pie crust.
I used Pamela's Bread Mix & followed the pie crust recipe. This is has been the best pie crust that we've made thus far. For the filling, I substituted the flour for xanthan gum. This was my most favorite gf dessert that has been made. Enjoy!
 

Perfect Apple Pie
(serves 8, prep time: 35 mins, Start-Finish: 3hrs 20 mins)
Crust: Pamela's Bread Mix
Filling:
6 c. thinly sliced, peeled apple (6 med)
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. xanthan gum
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon (more if desired, I used more)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg (I used more)
1 tbl. lemon juice

1. Heat oven to 425F. Place pie crust in 9-in glass pie plate. Press firmly against side & bottom.
2. In large bowl, gently mix filling ingredients; spoon into pastry-lined pie plate. Top with second pastry; seal edge & flute. Cut slits or shapes in several place in top crust. Cover edge with 2-3 inch wide strips of foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 mins of baking.
3. Bake 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender & crust is golden brown. Cool on wire rack at least 2 hours before serving.
Baking Tip: Tart apples, ie Granny Smith, McIntosh, or Pippin, make the most flavorful pies. Or you can substitute two 21 oz cans of apple pie filling for the fresh apple filling
Recipe from Pillsbury 16 month calender (2010) 


No comments:

Post a Comment