Sunday, March 6, 2011

When there's nothing to bake, bake dirt.

This week I baked dirt. Yeah, I know what you are thinking, "Really? Baking dirt?" It is true. I have been fighting gnats in a couple of my pots over the past month and nothing has seemed to work. So, I decided to change the dirt and start fresh. However, I had so much dirt and I did not want to just throw it away and I live on the bay so putting it in a grass patch is highly unlikely. After talking with my friend, @FarmerRussell, I had a solution. RECYCLE my DIRT! He told me to bake it at 250 degrees for 1 hour. Easily enough, I had 3 metal baking pans and I filled them up, put aluminum foil on top and baked it. This is simple, clean (relatively), and painless. Be sure to turn on the fan and to open a window, the dirt smell can become overwhelming otherwise.

I am attaching another blog that has photos and more information on dirt baking.  
http://unaodd.blogspot.com/2009/03/baking-dirt.html 

Enjoy! and happy baking. xo Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment